MIDTOWN WEST EXTENDED DAY CLASS DESCRIPTIONS
2022-2023 School Year
The Extended Day activities are planned to provide engaging and enjoyable programming for Midtown West children who require childcare after school. Some are returning favorites while others are new to the program. It is our goal to expand the choices and to vary the class selection with a range of activities, allowing children to follow existing interests as well as to explore new areas of discovery.
We try to balance the program with intellectual, artistic and physical activities while also complementing the school day program the children have at Midtown West. Numerous teachers are MTW staff members further connecting the two programs as children spend time with cherished teachers. Through this consistency children experience a smooth transition at the end of their school day. Children have the opportunity to experience varied activities while having fun in a stress free, safe environment. The focus is to have fun more than to master high level skills. Remember: At the end of the year they will not be experts in a given field. They will have a stronger understanding and appreciation for the subjects they studied rather than a mastery skill level.
- When registering you will choose your child’s activities for the entire year.
- Note the grade level cut-off where specified.
- During early January you will have the opportunity to request a class change without a change fee. Changes will be made based on availability. Changes will go into effect on February 1st.
- Classes will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Remember that young children require free, unstructured play during their day.
- We recommend that 1st and 2nd graders have one structured activity each day and one unstructured activity in Yard or Imaginative Play.
- Requests to add a permanent day must be submitted on a Change Form with a $15 change fee by the 15th of the month and will go into effect by the first of the following month.
- Families may not drop their number of days until the end of each semester.
- When a child’s behavior is inappropriate in a class, Extended Day will move the child into a different, more appropriate activity. If a child’s behavior is dangerous the Ext Day administration may remove the child from the program.
- When scheduled activities are cancelled due to a teacher’s illness or a professional obligation, children will be sent to other scheduled activities such as yard.
- Families can request an extra single day of childcare at any time. The fee is $25 per day per child. Complete the Extra Day Form, inform your teachers and the Ext Day staff in the MTW main office (Stephanie or Alan).
- ANIME CLUB Grades 4-5
- ART Grades 1-3
- ART & CRAFTING Grade 1-3
- ART & JEWELS Grades 2-4
- BADMINTON Grades 4-5
- CHESS – BEGINNER Grades 1-5
- CHESS - ADVANCED Grades 1-5
- COOKING Grades 1-5 on specified days
- Children with food allergies will not be registered in the cooking classes so that we do not risk cross contamination.
- Cooking classes cannot accommodate strict food restrictions such as Kosher, Vegan or Gluten Free requirements.
- This is not a nutrition class. Throughout the year children will taste a wide variety of ingredients including sugar, eggs, dairy, nuts and meat prepared in many styles (baked, fried, roasted, sautéed, etc.…)
- HIP HOP DANCE Grades 2-5
Hip Hop Dance Class Description for Grades 4-5 --This class includes a warm-up, choreography and a cool down. This class will focus on Hip Hop repertory including Freestyle, House, Popping, Locking and Breaking. Students will learn a better understanding of Hip Hop technique, movement and precision. This class will help strengthen flexibility, rhythm and ability to pick up choreography and confidence to perform. Dancers should wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing that allows for unhindered movement and gym sneakers or jazz shoes.
- HOMEWORK HELP Grades 2-5 on specified days
As the older grades begin to have long term, more complex homework projects, this class can help families set up a successful homework schedule. When needed, the teacher will support children with their work. Note: This class is not meant to be a one to one tutorial, but rather a way to build your child’s independence around homework with support available when needed.
Based on your child’s specific homework schedule during the school year you may change their HW day if space is available.
- IMAGINARY PLAY & GAMES Grades 1-2
- iPAD FUN Grades 1-5
Research has shown that e-games for children can help improve school performance. Appropriately used and with guidance, games are tools for the development of higher order thinking skills. As they progress to more difficult game levels, students create self-pacing strategies and try to achieve their personal best. Not only do they increase their cognitive skills, they increase their confidence and feel heightened self-esteem in a non-competitive atmosphere. When they play and enjoy computer games at MTW after school, our kids are learning Electronic Literacy – active learning that will prepare them for the challenges of the future.
- KARATE Grades 1-5
- KINDERGARTEN ACTIVITIES Grade K
- KNITTING & CROCHET Grades 3-5
- MAKE & TAKE Grades 2-3
- MOVIE CLUB Grades 3-5
- NOT SO QUIET LIBRARY Grades 3-5
- PAINT WORKSHOP Grades 3-5
- PRE-K ACTIVITIES Grade Pre-K
- SCIENCE EXPLORATION Grades 1-2
- SEWING Grades 3-5
- SPORTS – BASEBALL, BASKETBALL, SOCCER Grades 1-5
- TECH GAMES with JENNY Grades 3-5
- VIOLIN expected to begin in early October 2022 Grades 2-5
Mondays and Thursday Classes
- Prelude Violins: Beginning Students, 2nd and 3rd graders are best, 8 – 10 students total
- Etude Violins: Any returning students from the Spring 2022, 3rd and 4th grader
- Prelude Violins: 3:15pm – 4:00pm
- Etude Violins: 4:10pm – 4:55pm
Classes will run from:
- October 3rd – December 17th
- January 2023 – Early June 2023
- Play the violin in a small group with top music teachers
- Learn about and play orchestral music
- Work with YOSL musicians and other special guests and learn to read, compose, conduct, and improvise music
- Perform and rehearse at The DiMenna Center with YOSL students from other sites in Hell's Kitchen
- YARD Grades 1-5 on specified days
- YOGA / MOVEMENT Grades 2-4
- Movement - Get up and MOVE! Exercise is good to get the kids moving for physical and mental fitness. No equipment required just their athletic shoes. The workout will include: back turns, high knee jacks, jumping jacks, donkey kicks, squad high step march, and warm ups like stretches and breathing exercise[TF1] s. And we’ll have fun while doing it!